Wednesday, April 1, 2020

working dog

Ruby came into my life after two relationships which I had which were abusive in very different ways. She came as a protection dog for me as but she first lifted my PTSD by being such a clown as a puppy that I simply HAD to laugh. Sometimes, such as when my friend lost her partner in a road traffic accident, dogs are the only reason people have to get up in the morning. Their therapeutic connection with people is really under valued and unlimited. In the US there is a charity that puts dobermans with survivors of sexual assault and abuse. They are such intensely sensitive dogs, with a touch of fire which make you feel safe. They are naturally suspicious and do not much like strangers, but once you are in the inner circle they have an intense sense of loyalty which in my experience even supercedes that of the super dog - the collie. They never leave your side, not even when you try to go to the loo. The sense of security this brings is very strong.I

 have had old and cronky dogs,
dogs which smelled and were not
such a pretty picture
and I loved them all the same.
I have dogs which could barely walk,
dogs I had to lift out of my car
dogs with rheumatic joints
I carried round in a sling
dogs who broke my heart
when with the help of a patient vet
they went running
into the great unknown
this dog is a great beauty,
but this is not her main duty
this dog has a job,
she is my shadow
this dog got me off my knees
this dog made my life worth living
when human beings
broke me.
be in no doubt this
is a working dog
not just a pretty picture,
I owe her every day

No comments:

Post a Comment